Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Good Leg, Bad Leg

During my last trip to Guimaras, I was privileged to meet a man who had been the patient of my friend who was with me. My friend is a former physical therapist, and he had been rehabilitating the man's left leg that broke. I listened as they talked to each other about how the cane should not be used on the left part of the body where the bad leg was, with the left hand holding it. Instead, the cane should be held on the right side of the body where the good leg was, with the right hand holding it. People wonder why the cane should not just support the bad leg by being used on the same side. But the logic is simple: Strengthen the good leg, and it will have enough strength to carry the bad leg.

Instantly, God spoke to my spirit as I had that insight. And my heart's desire as a servant of this church is to strengthen the good leg. God has not called me to be an evangelist, but to be an encourager and an exhorter for the body of Christ. And as God strengthens the local assembly, it will be more equipped to the work of reaching out to others(“bad leg”) for Christ. May you strengthen a good leg today.


...speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head--Christ--from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.” - Ephesians 4:15-16

1 comment:

Adam Mitchell Bernard Bond said...

Beautiful reflection and analogy, but in fact it is used in the opposite hand so that one can have a more normal gait. I happen to be crippled in my right leg. One puts less stress on the body when one has proper gait and this requires that our arms move in the right way. the left arm should move forward with the right leg and vice-versa. This helps to balance the body rather than twist it. Regardless, this still puts tremendous stress on the opposite arm, while the good leg feels less of the brunt.